Friday, July 07, 2006

Stands alone


Silky Oak
Originally uploaded by davidfntau.
I've been fascinated by this tree lateley.
It's a Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta). This one single tree trapped in a sea of concrete appears to be surviving against the odds. Back in Melbourne they're everywhere but this is the only one I've ever seen in Darwin. It is contained in a tiny patch of soil at the edge of a service bay in between a carpark and a service entrance of a large shopping centre. There has been construction all around it but for some reason the tree has been spared. I don't know how long it's been there or if anyone else has ever even noticed it. I've been here about 9 years and don't remember when I first noticed it but this tree never seems to change. It doesn't appear to have grown and I never notice any flowers on it. Maybe this is what has helped it escape detection and allowed it to survive in such an inhospitable environment. What a battler!
Coincidentally there are heaps of Grevillea species in the Northern Territory, they are quite a diverse group of plants which range from low growing ground covers to medium sized shrubs. This species (native to eastern Australia) is the largest that I am aware of.

No comments: