Saturday, April 18, 2015

A short dialogue on belonging

I heard they were sending pregnant women, babies and small children back to the hell hole detention centre at Nauru... Where there is now reliable evidence of child abuse.
It seams all manner of appeal has been made for mercy but fallen on deaf ears.
There appears no way to reason with this Government which appears to have gone completely off the reservation. Without an informed democratic

At this stage I slump back into a state of morbid disbelief. Sit on the couch with the kids and zone out in front of a movie. The truth is painfully obvious but over and over we endure bullshit rationalizations and even engage in arguing against nonsense.

As I watch a kids movie the answers to these challenging questions appear to me regularly throughout the plot of the film. The answers are simple and can be presented clearly enough in a two line conversation in a children's movie, in this case Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007).

As I think of the children born in Australian territory to stateless parents who wait in a legal limbo for acceptance as refugees. Where they belong and who should care for them is blatantly obvious. Mr Magorium answers the question in the film when Henry the mutant inquires:


 Henry Weston (Mutant): You have a tenant living in your basement? 

 Mr. Edward Magorium: He was born there, I can't very well ask him to leave.

Where do all the children born in Immigration detention belong?The answer is simple.

1 comment:

GreenComotion said...

Hi Peter,
I hear ya mate!

Nice poem by Langston Hughes, which I thought I would share...

There are words like Freedom
Sweet and wonderful to say.
On my heart-strings freedom sings
All day everyday.

There are words like Liberty
That almost make me cry.
If you had known what I knew
You would know why.
- Langston Hughes

Happy Earth Day!

Have a Beautiful Day!!
Peace :)