Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A full day at environment expo

I only have time for a brief post today and just wanted to say we had a ball at the Environment Day Expo on Sunday.
There were more stalls that last year and great music too! My daughter and I rode down on the cruiser bike, packed with all we needed for a day on the Museum lawns. The day was kicked off with a speech by the Environment Minister and continued on with a full program of key speakers on various environmental issues.

Ms Marion Scrymgour

Unfortunately I missed the key note speaker as my darling daughter refused to sit still in the Auditorium!
The Living Rivers talk was quite interesting though and highlighted the need for community action to help guard our rivers from destructive and un-sustainable developments.

There were heaps of evidence that the environmental awareness is growing in Darwin, the challenge now is to increase and improve the quality and quantity of activities that are stemming from that awareness! Meeting with a member from the Girraween Landcare group I was reminded that what is needed is real people spending real time working for and in their natural environment.

BicycleNT was another group I was hoping to catch up with at the Expo. The new bicycle advocacy group based in Darwin has only been formed in the past year and already has a great website and a fair number of members. I'd really like to have time to get involved with this mob, there's so much scope for activities in the Darwin area.
BicycleNT stall


So we arrived at 10:30 and stayed till stumps! Had a fantastic time and I met people I'd only ever communicated with by email. It was as close to a perfect day as I've experienced in quite a while. Thanks also to the Giant Panda who managed to turn up just in the nick of time when my daughter became restless and looking for something more to do. In the afternoon I had a lovely swim to cool off and we eventually headed home as Shellie Morris was wrapping up her final set!

No comments: