Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Cambodia.... where?

Time to learn a little about Cambodia...
What do I know about Cambodia? Nothing really. When I was just a baby there was an horrendous war there, while I was growing up I heard a bit about Kampuchea, refugees and starvation, as I grew older and started paying attention to current affairs I heard about a despotic dictator who caused unspeakable suffering to many people.

Until last year the only Cambodian person I remember meeting was a woman I studied Bahasa Indonesia with, and that was 20 years ago. She had somehow managed to come to Australia. I'm not sure how she got here.

Last year I was fortunate to meet the hypnotic singer Srey Thy and the band Cambodian Space Project. These guys have the most amazing sound and cover art. Check their website HERE

CSP have revived a bunch of pre-war Khmer music from the 60s as well as some awesome original music.

So for a bit of optimism after having watched the The Killing Fields last night, I decided to listen to some CSP and found this song:


Whiskey Cambodia - by Cambodian Space Project



I still haven't got any of their CDs yet and am wondering how I'm going to get to sleep without this playing in the background!

No comments: