Monday, December 03, 2018

The Kitsch Imports of Vulgarity




“Plastics for the Lawn.” An American Kitsch icon.
From old Florida post cards, Miami Vice to The Bird Cage, the nauseating colour, gaudy hot pink instantly recognisable impressions of a creature we have no actual association with.
Icon of unsophisticated pretences of glamour and style...

Beginning in the 50s USA and I reckon a major resurgence in the 80s with all that hot pink & baby blue.

The existence of Lawn Flamingos and all subsidiary iconic association with.... Blagh, has stirred my curiosity.
A cursory search of the internet revealed that contemporary culture as expressed through our attachments to pulp icons like the lawn flamingo shows that the peculiar phenomenon tells a story of us that lurks beneath politics, fashion and personal identity. 
One book I'd like to read 'Flight Maps' by Jenifer Price, makes a point of using the Lawn Flamingo to highlight the disconnect between a suburban working class Baby Boomer generation and the natural world from which they were in every practical way, removed. “...very urbanised and suburbanised needs, discontents, and desires for meaningful, yet artificially constructed connections to nature.”

The phenomenon is expressed perceptively in the song by Radiohead, 'Fake Plastic Trees'.

I don't know where I am going with this idea except to make an attempt to explore the idea, and depending on where my questions take me, to wage war on the cult of the Flamingo or to embrace the whole bombastic abomination. 
LOL... to my own consternation I have taken to noting the presence of flamingos in public spaces, media, art and lawns. Flamingos however they are represented or on display with the question... Why? 

(by Anne Dell'Aria for The Conversation)  

No comments: