Thursday, September 28, 2006

Finaly I Post...


Heaps has been happening but my bloging fingers are weary and I haven’t had the drive to press finger to plastic and actually tell of any of it. The doldrums…

I’ll have a go and see if anything comes.

So where to start…? The week I returned from Bali my parents and brother arrived with for a three-week visit from Melbourne. I hope they had a good time…

We went out for dinner a few times to the Trailer boat club and various other places that accentuated the tropical exotic novelty of being in Darwin; Australia’s northern most city.

Big Frill

(A huge frill Necked Lizard at Dripstone cliffs)

Mum and Dad had some friends to share their time with for the first week. They enjoyed a great trip to Bathurst Island while they were here too but were really here to spend time with their only granddaughter who they can’t get enough of and naturally spoiled with sweet stuff.


Fishing at Southport NT


We had a great weekend away at Tumbling waters with some close family friends. On Sunday morning we took the kids fishing. It was hot there were biting flies all over the place and the only place with access to the water had a 7 foot drop into fastflowing croc infested water. Not a great place to have three kids under 5 years old. We cast our lines in, caught one pretty little cod, gave him back to the river and then got the kids out of Dodge before something scarry happened. Back at the camp there were still plenty of biting flies but also more room to move around without becoming croc food. We all enjoyed the time to chill out before the folks returned to Melbourne.


Cane Toad (Bufo marinus)


Unfortunately though amongst the multitude of other amphibians, there were Cane Toads, which was a bit of a bummer.

Brazilian Cherry (Eugenia uniflora)


On the weekend I discovered an odd fruit in the garden, which I have discovered with the help of a gardening work colleague was a Brazilian Cherry. It's classified as an environmental weed. I ate it!


Tuesday went to see and listen to David Suzuki where my passion for the environment was revitalized. I would love to go into great detail about how I felt but am in the doldrums and very very tired so can’t find the words to express it. He showed a short video of his daughter addressing a group of international delegates in Reo, which moved me to tears. He then wrapped up his talk and I was left bleary eyed to make my way back through a foyer full of people trying not to appear embarrassed by my red eyes and running nose!
On the way out of his talk I was handed a flyer promoting a protest against the mining of the McArthur River and took it willingly. Dr Suzuki is such an inspiration I actually felt inspired to take some kind of action that expressed how I feel about something rather than shrinking away as usual under the usual pressure shut up, say nothing and don’t rock the boat. I’ll post more tomorrow about the McArthur River and hopefully put this blog to some kind of use besides my self obsessed rantings…
(Better wait and see about that!)

No comments: