Sunday, March 25, 2007

TAKING ACTION

Legal action against NT Government. The hearing begins tomorrow!

According to the Environment Centre NT's freshwater campaigner

"The Traditional Owners' legal challenge against the NT Government’s approval of the open-cut mine and river diversion will be heard in the Supreme Court, starting Monday 26th March 2007".

I'm pretty sure the public are permitted to attend court.
I believe the people of Borroloola are disputing the lack of appropriate process involved in the granting of a permit to expand the mine. It seems obvious that a thorough environmental assessment could not have taken place, however I personally believe that these assessments are always quite subjective and often mask potential risks.


Something a lot more controversial

And now to something a lot more controversial. It's about my my dear wife, who is prone to reading self help books. She's a bit of a bookworm and would much prefer to read a good story about far flung and exotic locations than to actually buy a ticket and go there herself. Ask her she won't deny it. I don't know if I can talk about this without sounding like some kind of chauvinist but I've just got to tell!

Our place is pretty messy at times and we try to share 'most' of the cleaning duties, although I still leave quite a few things for Sam to do on account of I am working full time and she has a fair bit more time at home. So anyway the place is getting grimy and requires a long overdue scrub. I mean everything from the grotty hand prints on the TV to the 1/2 inch of dust sitting on top of the picture frames. The whole place! Admittedly if I am so bothered by it I could have done it myself ages ago. But it's the principal you see. (I must be holding on to some long past misogynistic tradition of letting the woman do it.) So anyway there's heaps of cleaning to do and I have maintained that it won't be me who does it! I used to remind her that certain chores needed to be done or our stuff would begin to rot, but found that this only lead to uncomfortable sleeping arrangements. I didn't see the point in me moving back into the local caravan park on a matter of principal about mopping the floor. As I said I do take on some of the chores, mine are the high places and the ceiling fans which I must admit are also very grimy... 'very'!

So finally the grime has even gotten to my dear wife and she has decided to take affirmative action! No more cringing at the mold on the the bathroom tiles! No more complaining about the clumps of hair (both dog and human) accumulating in corners! It is finally time to do something! So what do you suppose she did?

She found a book about it at the library! Yep... there is a book! Granted it is more a practical guide rather than a theoretical analogy. But it is still a book and to my knowledge doesn't have a magic button that will take the cloth from the sink and wipe the bench or remove the layer of dust that has turned our mirrors opaque. The book is called 'Complete idiot's guide to Cleaning'!

clean book

Yep there must be nothing in "God's green goodness" (Mugatu, Zoolander: 2001) that hasn't been written about! When I got home from work the other day and saw it sitting on top of the mess piled up on our grimy bench I just had to laugh! Heartily. I'm glad she found it before I did, my helpfulness may not have been appreciated if she had come home and found it on the bench. So we are now on our way to becoming a housework aware family and will have all the information we need about scrubbing toilet bowls and washing dishes, now all we need is some unfortunate person to actually do the stuff while we continue to live the bohemian dream!!

Sorry dear I probably shouldn't have posted this, the compulsion was too strong, needless to say it is a book we could both benefit from.

No comments: