Thursday, August 01, 2019

Hiking in Kakadu

So I joined the local bushwalking club just over a year ago and for several reasons I haven't actually done much hiking at all! 

One of the reasons for not hiking was that I had not been able to acquire a decent pair of hiking boots after my awesome Katmandu boots blew out on the first day of the Jatbula trail! 

I discovered last year that the full leather boots I had re-soled last year no longer fit me! I discovered this the hard way when my toes became badly bruised and the nails of my two big toes fell off after attempting the Great Ocean Walk in May 2018.

My I purchased an overpriced second hand pair of boots resulted in two of the biggest blisters I've ever had on my heels after attempting to walk to work in them last month. After a second attempt to wear them in I ended up ditching them at the airport and walking home in thongs!

No Luck with boots
Today I have my fingers crossed for a hike around Gunlom in Kakadu this weekend. 

Here's what I know about the route we'll be following:



 Schedule
" 1.Depart 7am, meet 6:45 at 3/45 Fill-out emergency contact info.
2.Friday lunch at Gunlom at the top of the waterfall (where we can have a swim).
3.First day. walk 8km walk -  close to creek. long day.
4.Second day. Over ridge to Allosyncarpia pool on Barramundi Creek. 4 km. Hard. No reliable water.
5.Third Day. 7 km through saddle to creek camp site. No water for 5 km.
6. Fourth day. 3 km. Walk out and drive back. Lunch at Gunlom.

Water -  minimum of 2L 3 L is better, assumes fully hydrated before starting the day's walk.

Fire at night, for ambience and cooking. Use burner for dinner and morning beverage.

Bring own first aid kit."



Full list of my preparation : 
  • Purchased new pair of Boots from the local camping shop
  • Purchased some dried food from supermarket
  • Purchased gas bottle for stove
  • Transferred money for fuel
  • Paid membership of bushwalking club 
  • Grabbed pack out of shed
  • Told boss I won't be at work tomorrow
 As you can see most of my preparation has involved spending money! Now I'm broke I have no actual idea about where or how we will be getting along through the landscape featured in the image above and I do not have a great deal of faith that my boots will carry me.

No comments: