Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ubuntu.....Who?

Due to the ever-changing world of computer software our 6-year-old Compaq computer, running MS Windows 98, has fallen drastically behind the competition and is unable to use many of the modern software upgrades. We’d been having trouble with the hard drive and were worried that it would crash and we’d loose all the files and photos we’d accumulated since 2000. So we went out and splurged on a new computer.
The new one was the cheapest desktop computer we could find; we got an Acer. It’s no good with games but is all we need for schoolwork, Internet and managing our photos.
So this has left us with one spare old computer with a tired HD running an obsolete version of Windows. I have left the old computer standing next to the new one and connected it to the keyboard, mouse and monitor using a KVM switch. The computers are not networked but I can use them both from the same workstation.
After many brief conversations with various Linux fans I have decided to install a new operating system on my old computer. I have chosen Ubuntu (Linux for human beings).
I know nothing about communicating with computers outside of the basic functions of a Windows interface and am quite dependant the background intuitive programming in Windows that allows me to stick stuff in the CD drive and hit install or play etc… So I am a little worried that I will have some difficulty getting used to this new system. However I am determined to have a go at this because it appears to be a way of escaping the clutches of yet another Giant corporate monopoly.
Linux and open-source software offer their users the qualities of autonomy, creativity and freedom. The philosophy that appears to be guiding the open-source movement is one that values access to information and the right of individuals to contribute meaningfully to the development and innovation of technology. It opens the door to full user participation. Or so I am told.
re- Eben Moglen and Cory Doctorow (Red Had Summit keynote speakers)


No comments: