Wednesday, October 18, 2006

An hour in the Gallery

McArthur River protest


Yesterday I took advantage of my privileged right of flexitime and headed into Darwin to take part in another day of action against the decision to mine the McArthur River. I arrived just in time to join a group of people from Borroloola as they attended the parliamentary question time of the Northern Territory Government.
An air of freedom and power overcame me as I peddled away from my place of employment to take part in action that, according to my conscience and that odd feeling in my heart and in my gut, was long overdue!
Arriving in the Gardens outside Parliament House, hot and sweating profusely, I was glad to see a rather large gathering of people waiting for Parliament to sit at 2pm. I quickly headed for a public toilet where I could change into clean dry cloths before I joined the group. By the time I returned they had gathered outside Parliament House and were holding their banner as they posed for a photo shoot. Being a reasonably shy person I hung back and didn’t make conversation but I did notice there’s a huge benefit to having outgoing leaders who can raise the group’s spirits and bolster morale. Unfortunately as much as I appreciate the nee I don’t think it’s a role I could ever play.

Question time was very disappointing and way too predictable. It began something a little like this:
Member responsible for approving mine being questioned by the honourable member for somewhere or other (Same party as the Member being questioned).
Q. How goes it with this very important, yet environmentally sensitive McArthur River mine Minister? The mine in which government has worked so hard to come to an equitable solution for all.
A. I’m glad you should ask me that difficult question, honourable member for somewhere or other. You see this issue is quite important to the people of the Northern Territory and it has been quite challenging for the government to reach a solution that will please everyone. However due to the quality of our government and the hard work done by our caring ministers I believe we have resolved this issue in a way that will make everyone rich and happy and not impact on the environment in any way, at all, whatsoever ever. Not only have we assured the future financial security of the NT, but with the help of our philanthropic friends at XXX Mining corp. we have saved the environment, created an opportunity for unimaginable wealth for Territorians, and enriched the lives of the good people of Borroloola! Bla…bla…bla…

Then the opposition took the opportunity to use the presence of the people in the Gallery to make outlandish statements in a pathetic attempt to embarrass the government. Opposition leader Jodeen Carney Implored the Chief Minister to repent for her lies to the community and stated that the difference between the Labour Party and the CLP is that the CLP tell the truth! Please spare us the CRAP Ms Carney! How naïve do you think we are? This condescending pontification to the Gallary came across no better than if you'd said in your most condescending voice. "Jodeen GOOOOOOD person tell truth, Clare Martin BAAAAD…..tell lies! ME GOOOOD her yucky yucky BAAAAAAD!" (ha ha ha, I'm sorry I still laugh at the image this conjurs in my head and still it doesn't differ too much from what realy went down!)

So anyway the whole thing pretty much followed those lines. Ms Martin tried her hardest to assure us that the Governments decision was for the good of us all and that the environmental safeguards were fantastic and more than we could have hoped for. She made several ridiculous comments about how safe the mine would be and if it wasn't there's always the money... She made reference to the amount of money promised in trust for any unforseen environmental problems, as though it would be capable of fixing the problem. One comment was quite funny. The Chief Minister said that in the past the environmental damage was unsubstantiated due to lack of scientific evidence, but with proceeds from the new mine we will be able to monitor pollution levels much more adequately. I cracked and laughed out loud (lucky I wasn’t turfed out). It almost sounded as if she was saying if it wasn't for the mine we wouldn't be able to measure how much shit the mine releases into the river. (I'm still trying to figure that logic out)
She also conceded that a 5 km river diversion was quite a substantial diversion. Compared to what?! How many tropical river diversions has she had experience with?
The Xtrata web site had pictures of a river diversion they visited down in Morwell Victoria where a stretch of rive had been confined to a nice neat channel. Do they think that a tropical river can be contained in the same way?
I believe that the government has sold us out; they have sold the river off for promises’ of financial rewards and apparently spared little thought for the real future needs of the nation; Fresh water, un contaminated fish!

There are enough precedents to show that no amount of money can buy back a river, Mining companies will do as little as they must to honour any agreements and even the most stringent environmental protection amounts to nothing more than a diluted compromise when the possible effects of the mining opperation are considdered.
As far as I could see we have traded our future for (in the words of Simon and Garfunkel) “a pocketful of mumbles…”

“such are promises”!

I lingered for a while after the event, disillusioned and saddened. I rode home with the thought of Clare Martin trying to assure the people of Borroloola that everything would work out for the best but I think she knew in her heart she had failed them. I saw her falter as she spoke and she was looking directly into the eyes of people who would not forget her promises. Like a soldier who is trained to kill for the good of his nation a politician may some time after realize that the blood cannot be washed of his or her hands with bureaucratic rationalization?

No comments: