Monday, October 23, 2006

Politics and Passion

I’m thinking I’ll need to start another blog where I can post my thoughts on all these environmental and social issues, they appear to be taking up a large part of my blogging space here. There’s probably a good reason why. Unfortunately I have tried to stick my head in the sand and remain faithfully compliant to the world as it is. I’ve had a go at keeping my opinions to myself and not rocking the boat or questioning the status quo. It hasn’t worked! Although there is spiritual relief in accepting the world, as it is, remaining mindful that I am not responsible for changing the whole world, I still believe I am obliged to fight for what I believe is right!
Surely the greatest harm can be done by those who see wrongdoing yet remain silent?

I have linked to a copy of Hansard from the debates of 10/10/06 the McArthur River mine was discussed and there are more Hansard records that document parliaments actions on this matter. Time will tell the truth of this story.

Debates - Tenth Assembly, First Session - 10/10/2006 - Parliamentary Record No: 10


Barbara Mcarthy's speach


Saturday, October 21, 2006. 6:33am
McArthur mining chief discounts traditional owners' concerns
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200610/s1770224.htm

Also it appears that the Environment Centre will be taking the government to court regarding it’s approval process. I wish them luck but don’t imagine they will have any success. However I believe that it is time that the Australian courts got serious about holding government to their environmental obligations! How can it be that law designed to protect our environment can be whittled down to a bunch of dribble when it comes to the power of industry? Who is protecting the future of our children?

Clair Martin said she is thinking of the future for Territorians but what future is she thinking about? The river is an irreplaceable source of life that has supplied life giving water and food to people for thousands of years. How long will the money last and will it buy a new river? Will tomorrow’s children be grateful to this government for selling their river when the money is all gone? I doubt it! It will just be another terrible mistake of the past from a government that will probably claim they acted on the best information at the time and couldn’t possibly have foreseen the damage they have caused! Isn’t this the way it always goes?

It is time this country got fairdinkum about fighting these decisions in the courts! If this company stuffs up it should suffer the full weight of the law! A case could easily be made if we didn’t put their right to profit ahead of the true security of our country!

Now I’m really annoyed because I wanted to talk about what’s been going on in my own little world and I’ve run out of time to post it!

No comments: