Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Urban wild spaces.
Since I was a kid I have loved visiting the urban wild spaces that seem to go unnoticed by the general population.
Being a regular train user in Melbourne I often glanced odd little corners that had been neglected or forgotten. Although I had a great love for undisturbed natural environments the vacant lands of the inner suburbs were great examples of natures struggle to exist. Due to neglect many of these spaces are left un mown for years and self sown seeds are often given the opportunity to grow. Although many of the plants are introduced species they have earned their place in the urban environment by struggling against the odds. These may be considered weeds but they do show the enormous power of life’s persistence. Where there is an opportunity for something to live, life will find a way. I really enjoyed learning about the concepts of the ecology of Niche habitats when I studied Lands Parks and Wildlife management. My teachers showed me how every living thing exists in it’s own Niche; A multi dimensional space that provides the conditions essential for that organism’s survival.

Being a social fringe dweller myself I found these places very attractive, hidden places within plain view of everyone but beyond most peoples scope of comprehension. People may see them every day but rarely consider them any more that an eyesore, a waste of space or a potential site for real-estate development. Once discovered our Urban Wild Spaces are often exploited for their only profitable asset, the space they occupy. But for a brief moment in time they are free and offer refuge to plants, animals and occasionally people that find it difficult to survive in the harsher urban landscape outside.
I used to explore these places whenever I found them and took great delight in finding odd plants and habitats that had escaped the scrutiny of the throng of people who pass them daily.

It seems that I am not unique in my appreciation of these spaces (thanks be to God!). There are some really cool groups out there who are committed to protecting the natural beauty of these spaces and using them for improving the lifestyles of their local communities. Ceres in Melbourne is one such place but I have also read of some fantastic projects in New York City that have grown from the same connection that people know must exist between human beings and their natural environment. Friends of Brook Park is a great project that is engaging children in their environment and providing them a way out of the usual traps of urban living. The testimonials from their website are a great example of how peoples lives can be inhanced by forming a connection with their environment. This is how communities become!
There is also a great article in The Vilager about a disused rail line that has gone wild.

No comments: