Thursday, March 05, 2020

Blue faced honeyeater & the Rubbish Warrior








So I was down at Nightcliff foreshore with Trev and he was giving me a presentation of the comedy skit he'd been working on and would perform at Happy Yes that night. It was getting pretty animated (as usual) and this Blue Faced Honeyeater came down from the tree and started interacting with him. As Trev was waving his arms around the bird started dancing and squawking and came right up close. They were both bouncing around,flapping wings and waving arms making a racket at each other. Trev raising his voice so he could be heard, which only invoked more flamboyant behavior from the bird!

 
When Trev finally completed his performance he sat down and began to eat his pie. The bird stayed close and moved in fast to collect his share of the meal. He danced around on the table and took crumbs of the meat pie until his hunger was satisfied. 

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to live here in Darwin.... a small town on the edge of the continent (Island?), It's a hot and sweaty place too far from any towns worth driving to, if Asia wasn't so close it could feel quite remote... But things like this keep happening to remind me why I love it and I stay another year!  Where else could I possibly go after living here?


No comments: