Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Coolalinga coffee

I have not been sleeping, my nervous system keeps triggering early morning jitters, the heat is rising and the cockroaches scurry.
Pillow soaked in sweat if the fan is not full the nerves in my leg start to quiver.

It's coolest just before dawn, maybe I could get an hour sleep... but I don't want to miss the dawn.


The buildup. Waking in a sweat at regular intervals. By 4am starting the day is a viable option. Why lay in bed any longer?

Dim pre-dawn light on the Darwin rail trail

No point waiting for sleep. I'm compelled to ride to use up some nervous energy, listen to music, be under the open sky and to witness the dawn. It's become a compulsion. Distances are increasing, most morning's I do about 30km.

My wife and kids are still in bed. They won't be up for a couple of hours, despite the fact that I only seem to be in the way during the morning routine, I feel guilty for not being there when they get up... But it is true, I just get in the way... The time for trying to figure these conflicting emotions has passed. Whatever errors I have made have been made and there is no going back. I am what I am. I'll see the kids after school. No room for guilty feelings. Just action. Do what you feel is right. This feels right. Sitting, waiting, trying to do what you think is expected... is like a slow miserable death and it pleases nobody. "Don't question what you thinks others expect or what you think they want you to do, If you can't be true to yourself you can't be true..." (Internal thought buble) The questions and doubt rage within me. I must make my decisions and live with the consequences. 

This morning instead of following the coastal trail I decided to ride out to Coolalinga along the Rail Trail. 

I've been doing these early morning rides for a month now and my body seems completely tuned to the exertion. My mind and soul crave the activity it's like a drug for me now and I get really restless if I can't get out.








Cycads and Salmon Gum beside the path
Freshly cleared and graded rail line, steel track and ballast removed. Next will come bitumen

Although it hasn't yet been opened I thought I'd check out the new section of the trail leading from Howard Springs to Coolalinga. There are about three bridges on this part of the trail that haven't been opened yet. The bush tracks in this section are so dusty or muddy they become too difficult to ride a lot of the time and leave the bike covered in abrasive crap. 
When riding south I usually choose to take the Stuart Highway, I never feel comfortable riding the highway on this section so I'll be very glad when they finally open the cycle path.

The original rail line was closed down in 1981 and the land has been vacant since but judging by the number of bush tracks sprawling between the line and adjoining bush, locals have made use of the area for recreational, motorbike riding, 4x4 and hooning around. 

Adjoining properties that had probably enjoyed a certain amount of  privacy are now easily viewed from the cycle path. There's a pretty section near Howard Springs where Mango and cashew orchards extend all the way to the edge of the trail. I found a few trees fruiting. The Cashew fruit is very pretty and has quite a sweet scent. 

I hope these plants survive the development process, there is a tendency around here to destroy non productive orchards.


Cashew fruit. I picked and ate the soft fruit of this pant, very sweet but leaves the teeth furry

Arriving at Coolalinga I had to leave the serenity of bush riding and enter the madness of Coolalinga shopping centre. Headed straight to the el-cheapo coffee vending machine, grabbed a double hit and sat by a road train to sup my brew before heading back the way I came as the sun revealed it's splendor through tree trunks on the horizon.


It was another nice ride. Beautiful country for the most part. As I came closer to Darwin the intrusions of unfettered development began to close in, I needed to travel closer to busy roads and morning commuters and tradesmen. It was inevitable that I would be confronted with one of the nastier sides to riding a bike. Malicious drivers. As I was riding on a roadside bike lane, a truck came towards me in the opposite direction. He was fully in the bicycle lane traveling at over 60kmh! I slowed down to give him time to move across. He drove his  vehicle directly towards me and moved only slightly into his own lane and passed me with only centimeters to spare! I was seriously shaken, it's not the first time and it probably won't be the last... but there will possibly be a 'Last' time it does happen. 



I finished the ride with a loop of Charles Darwin Park and a great view over the city. clocking up 58 km before work. 

An interesting morning.  

No comments: