Monday, October 14, 2019

Tunes

Without music where would we be? 
For many indigenous people music is the only way some stories can be told. When news is shared that cannot be spoken directly it is sung. The clap sticks will sound the message and song will indicate the nature of the message. To the trained ear the sound is unmistakable. If heard at the end of a telephone the sound resonating from the ear peace is enough to silence all within earshot. So powerful is our emotional instinct for music.

Sometimes a song will play on the radio that I haven't heard for many years. It could be some corny 80s New Romantic synthesized stuff, or AC/DC... it doesn't matter the quality or how popular the song may be. Critics opinions are irrelevant when it comes to the psychic connection between the sound and the listener. If I connected with it at a particular time in my life, I am invariably returned to some exact moment in my past when the music impacted on me emotionally. 

Music like smell somehow creates a channel directly to the past! It's like the song says, '...With a bit of a mind flip
You're into the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same...'




Recently I heard the song 'Vienna' by Ultravox. Every hollow beat in the opening of Vienna echoed the hopeful anticipation of my youth the synthesizer stuck like a hook into the endless yearning of twelve year old me. Ha! In an instant I was reliving exactly what I felt so many years ago. 


For the past three weeks I've been getting out on my bike early in the morning to watch the sun rise over the water, my strength and endurance is growing and the energy I feel is becoming intense, as I ride I've been listening to music and the effect is intoxicating. I feel youth returning to my body as oxygen and music mix in my blood fueling muscles and rushing endorphin's through my brain. As a forgotten song plays I fill my heart pound and the lust for life transmits to explosive fits of speed on two wheels. 
Getting high and low on music at dawn under a full moon. No drugs required.

No comments: