Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A cyclist...?

I would like to consider myself a cyclist.
I would like to say that for me riding a bicycle is a lifestyle choice that reflects my love of the outdoors and combines my sense of adventure, desire for travel, hunger for physical exertion and is an accurate reflection of my zen consciousness. And that this can obviously be seen by my devotion to the road, track or path. That the miles I clock-up on a daily basis are a testimony to my love of the muscle powered marvel we call 'bicycle'.
Unfortunately (if miles peddled are a gage of ones worthiness of the title) I can not really call myself a cyclist. Although I do spend a great deal of time thinking about bikes, and I have accumulated enough spare parts to start my own repair shop, the farthest I travel in a day is no more than 6 km. I am a fraud! A dreamer! A hitch hiker on the peddle pusher highway! At best I am a commuter who can't afford a car!
I think the longest ride I would have done in the past 6 months would have to be a 6 km cruise around Rapid Creek on the way home from work.
It's time to get into action! I don't know what but as Homer Simpson once said, "I'm going to put my foot down!.... I really mean it... Here it comes..." Well I don't want to be a gunna but some thing must be done to remedy this sad state of affairs. Stay tuned...

No comments: