Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rickshaw dilemma in Calcutta

This morning I received a link via Google alerts about a rickshaw pullers demonstration in Calcutta.

Titled:
Is this the end for Calcutta's Rickshaws?

A story about plans in Calcutta to ban rickshaws from the streets on humanitarian grounds.

I have not yet been to India or China so can't speak with much authority about the negative aspects of hand pulled or cycle rickshaws on traffic conditions or the impact either has on the health or dignity of the people who work in the industry. Rickshaws may cause some delay on the roads but surely if traffic is congested and moving slow anyway wouldn't it be better for everyone if they weren't sitting idly in a car belching carbon monoxide? It does seem a bit backward to remove a fuel efficient alternative. If working as a Rickshaw puller or peddler is so degrading then why do the people who do it fight so hard for the right to continue this livelihood?
I have not yet worked as a rickshaw cyclist but I hope to one day, however I have ridden in one once. The funny thing is that I have avoided riding in them for one of the very reasons they are being removed from Asian cities these days. I felt it was unfair to have another person carrying me around when I have two feet of my own!
While traveling in Thailand I caught a bus to Kanchanaburi. When a couple of other tourist and I stepped down from the bus we were met by half a dozen young men on bicycle rickshaws or trishaws. I felt embarrassed about accepting a ride when I usually walk but the guy was so insistent that I eventually hopped in. It was a very comfortable ride and a lot cooler than walking, I sat in the basket up front while my driver/rider peddled and gave commentary behind me. He was very happy to have some work and was keen to take me all over town but I felt inhibited about sitting up there like the Raj!
So why do I have such contradictory feelings about this matter? I guess it goes against the grain to have someone else do for me what I can do for myself. I don't want anyone to have to work up a sweat on my account! I like to meet people on equal terms and somehow the concept of being driven in a rickshaw appears too much social disparity for me to feel comfortable about it. In Australia when we ride in a Taxi I like many people jump strait in the front seat next to the driver! "G'day mate" and off we go.
On the other hand I think that (besides the low wages) being a rickshaw or trishaw cyclist would be a cool, 'honest', job that allows people to get some exorcise, meet people, reduce transport emissions and add colour and variety to the street. Although the article referred to hand pulled carts (quite a different prospect for me) I think for the men doing the work the issues must be similar. Although it may be considdered low work to some people I don't agree.
In many places these foot powered alternatives to a taxi provide opportunities for many people who would have few other options or be forced into more dangerous occupations to earn their daily wage. Maybe it's a good time to consider what is appropriate traffic, and what sort of activities are actually degrading to human beings?

No comments: