Sunday, February 25, 2007

Another morning ride

I now have a new cycling LED headlamp which is worn believe it or not on the head of the rider.
This morning while it was still dark and all were sleeping I decided to put it to the test in a pre-dawn cycle through the monsoonal forest to Lee Point. But like the old story about the frogs who decided to jump off a log goes; deciding and doing are two different things. Suffice to say I didn't get out on the road until the birds had already risen and the dusky light of dawn was forcing it's way through our flat's roughly drawn curtains. Deciding that it was better late than never I rode anyway, with my flash new LET headdress on full beam.

Having read some interesting propaganda come sales pitch about the new housing development of LYONS I thought I'd like to see their storm water diversion and creek management plan in action, so I made a detour through the grounds of a local sporting club. There was smoke in the distance which I thought was just coming from a longrasser camp but as I got closer I found the burned out wreck of a utility work vehicle! Another one! This sort of thing is fairly common around the fringes of Darwin. As I like to ride in the bushland close to town I often find the remains of cars that have, most likely, been stolen, thrashed, smashed up and burned. Without condemning or judging this sort of idiotic behavior I have to wonder why anyone would do it? I can't say that, even in my most rebellious days, it had ever appealed to be as something cool to do. What satisfaction is there in this kind of destruction? It makes no social or political statement that is obvious to me. It just looks and smells like hateful destruction for the sheer thrill of it. How dumb.

burnt out car
Burnt-out utility

I left the scene and continued my ride. Cruised past LYONS and had a look at their drainage network. Lots of silt traps and soil retention stuff, wide sloping grassed banks and probably still no chance of preventing turbidity or reducing flow from the increased drainage that will be generated from the development (cynic). I'd seen enough of this place and was keen to get out on the beach. I left.

It was getting a bit late to be riding the full distance to Lee Point so I decided to have a look at the water quality down at the mouth of Sandy creek. At 7.00 am there were already a few dog walkers and joggers enjoying the clear morning air down at the free beach. The tide was out and conditions were perfect for riding on the sand. I cruised along to the mouth of the creek with the wide open horizon and miles of flat sand driving me along the coast. The creek is a fairly remote part of Casuarina Coastal Reserve but there were still a few tracks from someone who had already been there this morning or last night. Along the way I came across a few large jellyfish that had washed ashore, probably in rough weather. There was a large flock of small migratory coastal birds and I even saw a beach curlew, cool!

Jelly fish
Jellyfish with sand-cycling shoe for scale

The water at the mouth of the creek was very muddy. I'd noticed there was a fair bit of muddy water flowing in from the new estate despite all their precautions and wondered how the increased suburban input would affect the life of the creek. Only time will tell.


sand creek2.07
View from the mouth of Sandy (Sandfly) creek

It was a great ride, I was gone a bit longer than I'd planned but arrived h0me just in time to greet Sam with her morning coffee and smile at our daughter as she woke from a full night's sleep. Wrecked cars aside, it was a great beginning to the day.

1 comment:

goatsfoot said...

I think people set fire to the cars after joyriding largely because it is the fastest way of getting rid of fingerprints. Sigh...