Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Monsoonal puddles

So finally the monsoons have hit and Darwin is receiving some considerable rainfall. I am committed to riding my bike rain hail or shine and for the past two days I have ridden through monsoonal downpours on the way to work.
On Monday morning I had to take the car to the mechanic (wheel bearings - brakes etc...) and then ride to work. I took the main Rd which was a big mistake because the gutters were so full that I was forced to ride in the middle of the lane to avoid scuttling my bike in the gloomy depths. The traffic was OK but I felt kind of vulnerable in the haze of rain and foggy windscreens. I was very glad to take the back streets from Nightcliff where I could enjoy the experience of riding in the warmth of soft, heavy tropical rain. It was an utter delight and the Nightcliff foreshore looked awesome with the dirty water splashing out of Rapid creek into a turbulent sea confused and turbid with the sudden influx of fresh water.


IMG_5664

I rode through the rain again yesterday and man did it pour! This time I wore a bright green raincoat so I could be seen. The gutters were flowing backwards as the sudden rush of water overwhelmed the unsuspecting drains, their capacity reduced by mud and debris. Great pools were creeping across nature strips and back up the foot paths as cars cut momentary channels through the torrents that should be roads. I kept peddling, the warm water engulfing my peddles and feet as the front tire split lakes and sprayed more water ove the teaming gutters.
A flash of white light filled the street and burned the back of my eyes, *CRACK* a lightning bolt smashed through the rain and brought fear in an instant. What the hell am I doing?! Dogs howled in agony, cars raced on un-deterred and I peddled faster hoping to make it to work alive. Bang there goes another one, Oh Shit I'm gonna die! - (I didn't.) Finally I arrived at work just two km from home.

I haven't been on the Lee Point track since last week, I think I'll spare my bike the misery of all that mud and grit.

No comments: