Saturday, August 19, 2006

Pesona Indonesia

On Thursday at CDU I was very fortunate to see the Sasak Dancers from Lombok giving a free demonstration of part of the Pesona Indonesia performance. It was excellent! The energy that this group produces is absolutely incredible! I was totally captivated by the ladies dancing! Their movements, gestures and eye seemed to hold me totally spellbound! Their classical style and beauty totally transcended the usual campus atmosphere and I felt as though I was transported to another place and time. It was like having a glimpse of something supernatural. AMAZING!

Sasak dancers Darwin

Sasak fighting

The fighting men appeared as though they were possessed by a spirit that gave them incredible strength and power. Although the performance was to some degree choreographed, there was intensity in their action that was almost uncontrollable and they often had to be separated by a third man to protect them from the power that each of them possessed.

Pesona Indonesia will be performing for the Darwin Festival tonight at the Amphitheatre in the Botanic Gardens. It’s a free concert and will be well worth seeing!

Street Art

Even living in Darwin there is often an overwhelming feeling of disconnectedness to the earth. I ride my bike to work every day but like every other city the roads are always full (well not exactly crowded) with people rushing around in their 4wd gas-guzzlers or their Subaru or Mitsubishi Lancer with a "Fart Box" exhaust system clogging up the air with diesel fumes or totally unnecessary noise! So it was with some relief that I came across this beautiful piece of Graffiti on a busy Darwin street.

give way

Thank you to whoever painted this mural. It brightens my day whenever I see it.

No comments: