Friday, August 25, 2006

Selamat Datang di Bali....

Last night I arrived at Denpasar Airport and was in Kuta by about 12:30am. I found accommodation OK it was a bit cheaper than if I'd booked so I was pretty happy. The bed had the firmest mattress I've ever slept on in Bali so I soon fell into a blissful sleep and was woken at dawn by the sweet smell of burning offerings and the sound of sparrows fighting over scraps of rice.
I hadn't gotten off to a verry good start. I thought I had an international driver’s license and fully expected to be riding a scooter around the island but just before I left home I realized that it had expired 3 years ago!
Making my way outside I thought I'd take some photos of the beautiful gardens full of fragrant frangipani flowers and Bougainvilleas. Oops I'd forgotten that my camera was playing up and probably needed a new battery, luckily I'd brought a brand new one along (not wanting to miss out on such a perfect opportunity to take photos). I slipped it into the camera and pressed the button. There was a click...... then ....... nothing It didn't wind on or anything! The same thing that had made me think it was the battery. BUT IT WASN'T THE BATTERY!
I took the film out and checked the shutter. Nothing! it was jammed! The camera is useless!
It's the first time I'd bothered to take the thing overseas with me along with two heavy lenses and it karks it just when I need it the most! The last time it let me down was when a mate asked me to take some photos of his wedding! I think it is cursed now.
So I'm stuck in Kuta with no camera and no license! This is not how I imagined my holiday! I can't help thinking it's some kind of karmic thing.
Sorry folks there will be no photos of this trip!

No comments: