Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Brave spirit





As I am doing nothing that would interest anyone but myself (actually I'm not all that interested in anything I've been doing lately) I thought I would direct the focus of this post to a phenomenal woman named Catra (Dirt Diva). She is an endurance / cross country runner who, along with her friend Julien, is about to commence a 2,666 mile (not km) hike/dash along a track on the West Coast of the USA known as the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).


I can not begin to describe the awe I find myself in whenever I try to contemplate the magnitude of such a journey! I think about all the times I could have or should have done something extraordinary but didn't. Although I am flat out just trying to successfully live an ordinary life, for me this alone can be a considderable challenge. Though I often wonder what if I tried something else? Something big. Would I ever achieve anything that others would find remarkable? Maybe something beyond my current goals of remainingg married, employed and non institutionalized....? Maybe I'll just stick to those goals for now...
To face such incredible challenges must be a life altering experience! I believe every religion contains some kind of concept of life death and rebirth. Metaphorically and sometimes literally. We must shed the skin of an old life in order to commence a new one. The process I am thinking about takes place on a spiritual plane but I can see that by pushing her physical and psychological boundaries and by enduring such hardship (although her photos don't show it) it looks like Catra dwells somewhere in the flux between the earth and the ether! A spiritual adventurer on the edge of what is humanly possible... If you think I'm ranting check out her blog. I don't think it's such an exaggeration.

Regardless of whether they complete the journey this will be an awesome story to follow and I believe they commence their journey today!
You can follow their progress on http://www.catrapct.blogspot.com/

Check out the PCT website to see more information about the country they will be traveling.

No comments: