Friday, May 18, 2007

Raw Comedy

Last night (after and exhausting day of homework, commuting about 50km, doing three days worth of dishes and entertaining a 3 year old) I took an interrupted 1 hour reprieve. What's on the box tonight! I'm gonna crash. So I lay down switched on the tube and there was actually something cool on! (I'd missed the doco about Spartacus!)

It was 'Raw Comedy' at 9:25pm on the ABC.
Excellent stuff! It was a live recording of a comedy venue in Melbourne and the gags were coming thick and fast! What a way to end the night! Thank goodness for ABC TV!
Comedians are brave! No doubt about it... The tallent last night had us chuckling and cheering! No small feat considdering the moodiness that proceeded it.
I reckon the grumpy librarian/mother should have won a prize though.. The general standard of the comedians was excelent. There was even an entry from the NT, can't remember her name though. :(

Here are the competition results:

Winner
Jonathan Schuster (VIC)
Runner Up:
Aamer Ramaan (VIC)
Raw Recruit Prize for the best first-time Raw entrant:
Jack Druce (NSW)


Aamer, made more of a political statement than really great comedy but he hit the nail on the head so well when he commented on Anglo Australian racism that he just had to get something! I'd love to get a transcript of the show so I can quote the guy!
The question goes through my head every time I see the TV news, commercial network current affairs programs or read our blessed NT news.
Not his exact words but he said something along the lines of:
'Why is it that all I see are white people complaining about everyone else in this country?' Thank GOD! Someone has bravely ridiculed the Anglo centric bullshit we are fed daily! He made some other extremely confronting observations about the Anglo Ausie way of life that are so vulgar and hypocritical that many people would have been stunned to hear them and shamed into squeezing out a self conscious chuckle if only to appear un-offended!
Good on you Aamer, I think you'd make a better diplomat than a terrorist!

No comments: